At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
We're looking to add a new node to the Product Marketing cluster, leading competitive intelligence activities across the Elastic observability portfolio. In this role, you will be working closely across product marketing, product management, sales, solution architects, and other internal teams to deliver insights, trends, and recommendations on a regular cadence to improve Elastic’s competitive edge. You will be responsible for analyzing Elastic’s constantly evolving competitive landscape to advise both strategic and tactical decision makers throughout the company.
To be successful in this role, you will need to be comfortable working with cross-functional teams and learning from their respective areas, using tools and outside firms to analyze the competition, and serving as the primary resource for observability competitive questions. In the age of continuous delivery and cloud services, you should be comfortable with carrying out multiple work streams, adapting to constant change, and building analysis with high energy and enthusiasm.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Serve as the resident expert for all technical aspects of competitive analysis across the observability landscape.
- Gather intelligence about the competition through primary and secondary collection methods, including attending industry conferences.
- Analyze findings and develop Elastic’s competitive positioning and messaging.
- Collaborating with sales and marketing to develop sales-forced competitive collateral to educate internal teams on Elastic’s competitive strengths and weaknesses.
- Provide an objective assessment of Elastic’s true competitive position as well as provide recommendations to internal teams to increase Elastic’s competitive edge.
- Assist with and participate in product launches, product demonstrations, partner/customer conferences, and strategic planning sessions.
- Expect less than 20% travel.
What You Bring Along:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of experience working in the information technology industry in a technical capacity.
- Strong technical knowledge with a genuine curiosity to learn new technologies.
- Scripting and programming experience.
- Self-starter with a team-oriented work style.
- Ability to run, prioritize, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding written and verbal presentation skills with proven record to effectively present to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to build effective work relationships at all levels within Elastic.
- 7+ years of experience analyzing observability companies and deep expertise of the observability industry.
- Competitive intelligence certification (i.e., CIP).
- Operator-level experience with Elastic products.
- Hands-on experience installing or maintaining observability tools.
- Experience with computer networking, APM, log management, and a variety of protocols (i.e., HTTP, SMTP).
- Member of Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals (SCIP)
- Passion for Elastic solutions.
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $135,900 and $186,900, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a Target Commission, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience.
Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in Elastic’s equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering.
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.